Monday, March 29, 2021

Today Is Monday

 I often struggle with writer’s block, letter writer’s block, that is. I love to send letters to my pen pals but sometimes I will write a letter, read it over and think... “This is so lame.” 😒 🙄  




I want my letter to be clever, funny, encouraging...in other words...a good letter. So what is a good pen pal to do? One never knows when or from where inspiration will strike! 




When the MurphyBros were little one of our favorite author/illustrators was Eric Carle. His Today is Monday book was a favorite! ☺️ It was my inspiration for a sort of diary letter. For a week I wrote a few sentences in a notebook starting with the line, “Today is...” I just wrote down whatever stuck in my mind about the day... something I noticed in nature, something that brought a smile to my face, the work I did, the Bible passage I’m meditating on, the books I read, the music I listened to and played on the piano and even what I ate for dinner! (Thanks for the idea, Eric!)  




I was also inspired by a game we used to play around the dinner table, “High/Low.” We would all go around the table and tell the others what our high point and low point of the day was. It was always interesting and got our dinner conversation going! Even the time when one of those Murphy Men, who shall remain nameless, proclaimed their low point was right then, participating in the game of High/Low. 🙄 Boys! 😉 I wrote down my high and my low from the day in my notebook, too. 




At the end of the week I wrote a calendar style letter with little illustrations added in for fun! It may not have been the most exciting letter but I am always amazed that when I start writing about one thing more thoughts come. 🤔 





So seize the day and go postal, my postal pals! Just remember to write it all down for inspiration later! 

XOXO, 

Mrs. Murphy 




No comments:

Post a Comment