Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Snailmail... Always An Encourage-mint!


During my childhood when my sweet mother would return home from shopping or running errands I would always ask hopefully, “Did you bring me a treat?” (I ask Mr. Murphy the same question ☺️) More often than not Mom would smile and hand me a lovely York Peppermint Pattie. She usually had one for herself, too.

 


Imagine my delight when I discovered that February 11 is National Peppermint Pattie Day!! 
My research revealed that chocolate covered mint confections can be traced back to the 1700s in Europe. In the US, as early as 1900 peppermint patties were made by various confectioners, but it wasn’t until Henry Kessler of the York Cone company got involved that peppermint candy really  got popular. Apparently chocolate covered caramels and bonbons were delicious, but the chocolate covered peppermint was substandard...the peppermint was soft and gummy. 😕 In 1940 Mr. Kessler figured out a way to make the center crisp, firm and delectable. He named the treat the “York Peppermint Pattie” and began selling his treat throughout the United States. The Peppermint Pattie because so popular that Kessler gave up his ice cream cone business and focused exclusively on it! (Way to go, Henry! I’m grateful for your perseverance.) 😋 

I’m not sure of the origins of National Peppermint Pattie Day. February 11th is not Mr. Kessler’s birthday, or the anniversary of his death. 🤔 Perhaps it was the day he dreamed up his magical recipe for deliciousness!! Whatever the reason for it’s creation, I am happy to to have another day to celebrate with snailmail!! 




Those York Peppermint Patties are not only tasty they have a shape that works well for snailmail. I made some circular cutouts, added a few loving words and presto! Some happy snailmail senti-mints! 😉 If they only had their own postage stamp. 


Won’t you join me in these silly celebrations? Let’s try to make everyday a good mail day! 


XOXO,

Mrs. Murphy


No comments:

Post a Comment