Monday, June 15, 2020

Reaching For The Stars

G.K. Chesterton (one of my favorite authors) once wrote, “If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly.” This statement is very comforting to me. I don’t take it to be an excuse for poor efforts but rather an encouragement for those of us who don’t have stellar first attempts. ๐Ÿ™‹๐Ÿผ‍♀️

Star quilt stamp issued by the USPS in 2016


In this modern age we are inundated with images of outstanding results. (Thanks a lot, Pinterest!) Our society is plagued with the desire for perfection with very little effort, or even someone else’s effort! But rather than conclude that one is just not...creative, musical, a good cook, etc., I feel we should embrace the sentiments of Chesterton and celebrate amateurish efforts! I decided that when I am an elderly grandmother (Lord willing) I want to have a certain set of ageless skills that I can use to bless the people in my life. 
  • Be well read and know the great stories. (There is something wonderful about receiving the perfect book at the perfect moment in one’s life, especially when it comes in the mail!) ๐Ÿ“š
  • Bake a lovely loaf of bread. ๐Ÿž 
  • Whip up a batch of everyone’s favorite cookie! ๐Ÿช
  • Serve a steaming bowl of love, I mean, homemade soup. ๐Ÿฒ ๐Ÿฅฐ 
  • Knit a cozy pair of socks. ๐Ÿงฆ 
  • Dance an Irish jig! ๐Ÿ€ (I am Mrs. Murphy, after all ๐Ÿ˜‰)
  • Sew a quilt. ๐Ÿงต 
  • Draw a dinosaur .๐Ÿฆ– 
  • Play a Chopin nocturne.  ๐ŸŽน 
  • Build a Lego spaceship. ๐Ÿš€ 
  • Write the perfect encouraging letter with a beautifully addressed envelope. ✍๐Ÿป 
Just to name a few things on my list!

When I was younger I was interested in many things but feared I wasn’t really a true talent at any of them.  I’ve come to appreciate the value of time, practice and patience. Most goals can’t be attained overnight, but every bad loaf of bread I bake now is a lesson learned, experience gained, wisdom gleaned. My envelopes will never be as gorgeous as those created by the amazing postal artists I follow on Instagram, but I can still keep trying and sending out snail mail to my postal pals. Joy will be had in the creating and the receiving.
So, I will boldly take on my amateurish adventures, my mediocre mission, my primitive projects!! Yes! I will go forth and...flounder, at least until I get better! ๐Ÿ˜‰ Won't you join me? 

Reach for the stars and the don’t forget to send a postcard!! ๐Ÿคฉ

XOXO,
Mrs. Murphy

No comments:

Post a Comment