Monday, May 18, 2020

Dial M for Murder...and Mail!!





Sixty six years ago this month (on May 29, 1954), Alfred Hitchcock’s film “Dial M for Murder” was released. I am definitely a fan of “The Master of Suspense” and have  watched almost everything Mr. Hitchcock directed. 🎥 
It all started long ago... when I styled my bangs with Aquanet and Mr. Murphy wore acid washed jeans... we would frequent an aptly named shop called, “The Movie Store.” It was an ancient time before Netflix and even Blockbuster...the 1980s!😎 The VHS was king and this mom and pop video store arranged their large and eclectic film collection in a unique and pleasing manner. No lame, broad categories like “new releases” or “comedy” for this clever shop. Instead there were sections entitled: Bogart and Bacall, Hepburn, Spaghetti Westerns, Best Picture Winners, Hitchcock, Wells and Wilder. Our cinematic tastes and interests expanded far beyond the usual 80’s “brat-pack” fare, in large part, because of this great store!! Now, thanks to the magic of Amazon and the digital age one can practically watch any movie at any time!! 


In 1998 as part of its “Legends of Hollywood” series, the USPS released an Alfred Hitchcock postage stamp. I am pleased to announce that I have some of these great stamps!! 🤩 There is also a wonderful Grace Kelly stamp (she’s one of the stars of “Dial M for Murder” ), but I don’t have any of those. 😢

 I thought I might encourage Hitchcock appreciation amongst my penpals and would send some “Dial M for Murder and Mail” post! A themed dinner and a movie date night idea is one of my favorite things to mail. For “Dial M for Murder” I came up with the following menu:

Don’t Artichoke Me and Ricotta on Toast Points
Broken Hearts of Romaine Salad with Apple and Pear
Grilled and Skewered Latch-Key Lime Chicken
Margot’s Mixed Berry Merengues

A good food pun is so satisfying, wouldn’t you agree? 😉 I’m not sure if all of the flavors go together in a culinary way, but they are definitely related to themes in the film! 😁🎥






I also enjoy a bit of film analysis via the postal service. Sending questions, insights and observations about the movie through letters is a fun and interesting snailmail activity!! I encourage you to make some movie mail to share with your pen pals and if you’ve never watched any Alfred Hitchcock films, join Mr. Murphy and me for a “Dial M for Murder” dinner and movie night this month! 

See you at the mailbox...and the movies!

XOXO,
Mrs. Murphy 

No comments:

Post a Comment