Thursday, April 16, 2020

Rivers of Life





These are strange times. The days are definitely dark and frightful. I have occasionally found myself struggling with feelings of worry, fear, loneliness. But it is at times like these, when I am overwhelmed by my feelings, that I must counsel my heart with the truths of my faith. Before it’s over, this pandemic will surely touch all of us in some way. Some homes will experience grief and sorrow and all will experience fear and anxiety. Snail mail is an excellent way to reach out and bring words of comfort and peace to our hurting friends and family. 


In 2019 the USPS issued a new FOREVER stamp that features the beauty of American Rivers. Rivers always remind me of lines from one of my favorite hymns, A Firm Foundation. 

When through the deep waters I call thee to go,
The rivers of sorrow shall not overflow;
For I will be with thee, thy troubles to bless,
And sanctify to thee thy deepest distress.


We like to think as human beings that we are so advanced and capable. If we dream it we can become it! But if this virus has revealed anything it should be that there are things beyond our control! It is no respecter of persons. We are not the masters of our universe. We were created to be dependent on the Creator.


When I was in college (when I wasn’t taking nursing classes) I took every philosophy, psychology, sociology, comparative religion and anthropology class I could fit into my schedule. I’ve always been interested in the nature of man, the nature of God, the concepts of existence, reality, morality and the inability of mankind to fix the problems of society like poverty, crime, war and oppression. Here’s my conclusion...


⚡️The problem is sin and the solution is Jesus.⚡️

That may seem overly simplistic or naive to some, but I urge you to think about the big questions for yourself. This pandemic reminds me that there is a greater, darker, and more dangerous infection - one with eternal consequences. Not everyone will be infected with the Coronavirus, but everyone has been infected by sin from birth...that’s pretty obvious...just look around (and in the mirrorπŸ˜•). Sin is the problem, but Jesus is the cure!! God looked at us with mercy and in love decided He would not let us perish from the disease of sin. There is hope!




During this time of worry, fear, suffering and sorrow, spread some comfort, hope and peace with some encouraging post. Your letter may help alleviate someone’s pain and suffering. It might lift their burden. It might help quench their thirst and lead them to the river of life.❤️



I’ve got a river of life flowing out of me!
Makes the lame to walk and the blind to see!
Opens prison doors sets the captive free!
I’ve got a river of life flowing out of me! 

Keep the faith, my postal pals!

XOXO,
Mrs. Murphy 



No comments:

Post a Comment