Monday, February 24, 2020

Nuts About Mail

Back when the Murphy Bros. were in elementary school, Super Murphy Boy (the younger) came home with a school project that pleased his nerdy, library-loving mom immensely. Write a paper and create some art accompaniment that details the life of an inventor or innovator, someone who contributed positively to the world. How exciting, right?! Perhaps not, when one is 10 and is feeling overwhelmed by the broadness of the assignment. It is rather daunting, isn’t it? When one has all the people in the history of the world to choose from, where does one begin? 
To the post office!!!
When you are feeling uncertain and in need of direction, simply follow Mrs. Murphy’s lead and HEAD TO THE POST OFFICE! Looking for someone notable to write about? Check out the folks on a postage stamp! Not only are postage stamps little works of art they are history lessons, and as always, a source of inspiration. Super Murphy Boy chose George Washington Carver. 

George Washington Carver has been on not one but two stamps over the years! He is one of the most incredible people I have ever read about and he has ties to Iowa. The more I learned about this amazing man, the more I was blown away. His words need to be read, reread, meditated on and mulled over. They are great words...
When I was young, I said to God, ‘God tell me the mystery of the universe.’ But God answered, ‘That knowledge is reserved for Me alone.’ So I said, ‘God, tell me the mystery of the peanut.’ Then God said, ‘Well, George, that’s more nearly your size.’ And He told me.”

“No one individual has any right to come into the world and go out of it without leaving something behind.” 

Collecting stamps and snail mail is such a wonderful hobby! Writing letters to our friends and family is special on its own, but postage stamps are a whole new world of wonderful!! I have fond memories of my dad and his stamp collection. I’d climb up on a chair next to him and search through his big pile of brightly colored stamps. He’d tell me the story of the subject depicted on the stamp and we’d find the place in his album to place it.
🥰 
The USPS receives NO tax dollars for operating expenses and relies on the sale of postage, products and services to fund its operations. They process and deliver 484.8 million pieces of mail each day! They release amazing new stamps every year and there are private collectors and sellers who deal in uncanceled postage from the past that can still be used to send your snail mail creations today!! 
Wouldn’t a “Nuts About You” letter or care package be extra special if you could add GWC to the stamps on the envelope?! I’m on the hunt!  
🤩🥜

Go postal, everybody!! You’ll go nuts for it! 
XOXO,
Mrs. Murphy 


No comments:

Post a Comment