Monday, October 13, 2014

In The Mood to Mail

I think I may have mentioned that I'm a recovering perfectionist. I often have an overwhelming desire to send the perfect piece of mail and/or the most amazing care package in the history of care packages! I confess I have "pinned" unbelievably awesome snail mail ideas and "blow 'em away" package examples in the hopes of recreating something like that myself.  But these projects usually require me to buy new supplies and package ingredients, making a special trip, and spending more money to do so.  Therefore, more often than not... I don't send anything. (Boo)



If there is one thing I know for certain it's this...the package or mail you do send is way better than the so called "perfect" package that simply remains an idea.  I'd been wanting to send the elder Murphy Brother another care package.  I'd carefully collected my thoughts and ideas for the perfect package.  But before I knew it, he was telling me about midterms coming up!! I decided to scrap the perfect package plan and send an actual package right away!! I wrote him an encouraging letter (I feel that the words you write are the best part of any snail mail! They can last forever!) and added a few little candy treats (with clever pun tags), a "lucky" pencil for writing midterms and a little bit of money (every college student's favorite item!).  I packaged everything up in a padded envelope I had in my snail mail stash and headed to the post office. In no time at all my actual package was actually mailed! Magic! 


Go postal, everybody...whenever the mood strikes! (He who hesitates sends no mailbox magic!)

XOXO Mrs. Murphy

6 comments:

  1. I agree-perfectionism is something I have to be careful about, too. I need to be sure trying to do things great doesn't keep me from doing things at all. I was discussing with my aunt how my one weakness for spending money is stationary, but I excuse myself because it is "for others". She asked a good question, she said "Do you care when you get a typed letter from me in a plain envelope" Obviously I don't and just like hear from people. I think length can also be a problem, one feels like a long letter should be written, but as there's only time for a short card nothing gets mailed...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah,
      I often also feel that a short note is not as good as a "real" letter. I love your aunt's perspective. Any mail for or from a pen friend is "GOOD MAIL"!! So let's send some!!

      Delete
  2. I think you made the right decision! Sometimes we want our mail to be perfect, but then we realise that every simple postcard has the power to make people smile... Snail mail is magic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your ideas here, especially the "smarties" LOL...I have a son in law who is in school...I can't wait to use this bit of encouragement for him! And yeah. Perfectionism has to go sometimes...and just do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WooHoo! Mailbox magic...spreading like wildfire!

      Delete