Sunday, September 7, 2014

As Easy As 123...ABC Snail Mail

I recently learned a new word..."abecedary." Isn't that totally fun to say? I love it!! It means "of or pertaining to the alphabet."
Duh!! Why didn't I know that? Well, anywho...now that I learned what it is, I'm super excited to add this word to Mrs. Murphy's Big Snail Mail Idea Book!! I thought I could compose an abecedary letter around a specific theme and send it to one of my pen friends. Here a few ideas to get us started!

1. An abecedary of me! This idea would work great as an introduction letter to a new pen pal. In lieu of the usual, "I'm an alligator wrestler. It's a tough job but somebody's got to do it. I also really enjoy banana and peanut butter sandwiches." Your letter could be a little more like...
A is for alligators! I wrestle them from 9 to 5 Monday through Saturday. (I give them a break on Sunday)
B is for banana and peanut butter sandwiches. It's my favorite snack after a hard day of alligator wrestling!"
I think a letter like this would be fun for an old pen pal, too!! Who wouldn't want to get a quirky, fun letter like this?!

2. An abecedary about a holiday or season. Are you prepping for some special holiday, season or event in your life? Why not write about it ABC-style? "A is for apple crisp! I'm baking a lot of these as it's starting to turn into fall - my favorite season!!"

Abecedaries work for almost any subject. I found a great example of a "gaming" abecedary. (I know the Murphy Bros. would get a chuckle out of that.)
Abecedary snail mail is fun and gets those creative juices flowing. Try it with me! Let's see how creative we can be! Magic!!

Go postal, everybody!! 
XOXO Mrs. Murphy

2 comments:

  1. I love this idea! I'm thinking of postcards that say "Vacation" or "Holiday" and I describe where I've been using the letters of those words. Much more fun that "The weather is lovely, wish you were here."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ideas!! I've been struggling with an idea for "X" so perhaps a shorter word...like "vacation"...would be easier!!

    ReplyDelete