Friday, October 1, 2021

An Apple a Day Keeps the Mailbox Happy

 


I took a snailmail break over the summer and just started writing again in September. If possible I like to have a theme for the month in which all my postal projects can find a home. As many of you letter writing enthusiasts know, writing a letter can sometimes be quite difficult…creativity-wise. 🥱 Sometimes I fear my letters are most dreadfully boring, thus the theme. And it is extra nice to coordinate the postage with the theme. 🥰 📬. My latest theme? 🍎 🍏 Apples! It is apple season after all and the markets are filling up with lovely little apples with even lovelier names such as, Pink Lady, Honeycrisp and Autumn Glory. September is also the birth month of Johnny “Appleseed” Chapman. The USPS honored him on a postage stamp from 1966 as part of their folklore series. I only have a cancelled Johnny Appleseed stamp, however. 😞




My postage was a little lacking so I decided to base the letters on apple phrases. I wrote to one old friend I hadn’t seen in years but had recently met her grown son for the first time. He was delightful and regaled Mr. Murphy and myself with tales of his parents! 😂 I wrote about the apple not falling far from the tree. 🌳 🍎 






Another letter was to a friend that is a prayer partner and fellow Bible student. She has been a great encouragement so I wrote to her about Proverbs 25:11 “Like apples of gold in settings of silver is a word fitly spoken.” 🥰 🍎 I feel that a hand written letter, full of wonderful words, definitely cheers and uplifts…like apples of gold in settings of silver. 






One could also send a letter to the apple of one’s eye or describe a recent triumph in one’s life…you know…how do you like them apples? 😉 I feel like the apple idioms are endless and excellent seeds for inspiration!! Go forth, my friends, like Johnny Appleseed and spread good cheer by planting…um…I mean…MAILING some letters!! 


Go postal, people!! 

XOXO,

Mrs. Murphy 


No comments:

Post a Comment