Monday, February 15, 2021

Snailmail! A Recipe For Happiness!

 



When I was kid there were no children’s television channels. Saturday mornings offered a few hours of cartoons while the after school time slot had a game show or two and Brady Bunch re-runs. I guess that’s why we played out in the neighborhood so much. 




Meanwhile this lack of children’s programming wasn’t much of a problem until one was home sick. In between naps and coloring books I would lie on the couch and flip through the four channels. The three networks had soap operas 🤮 so that left PBS.





 I have a few memories of watching “The Electric Company”, “Sesame Street”, and “Mr. Rogers”, of course, which were geared for young children. But I also enjoyed “Lilias, Yoga and You”, “The Frugal Gourmet”, “The Joy of Painting” and “Masterpiece.” 




One of my favorites, by far, was “The French Chef” with Julia Child. I loved her!! She was funny and natural and made me want to try cooking! Sometimes she would do things on the show, like trussing up a chicken with a giant needle or flipping a potato pancake that simply fascinated me. She instilled confidence in her viewers by telling them, “If I can do it, you can, too!” I loved her. She wrote many cook books, basically pioneered the cooking show and introduced America to French cuisine. Oh, and she was a spy during WW2. 😎 I told you she was cool. 



Over the years I’ve read and watched many things on Julia Child. Her life was so interesting and so full of joy! In short, she was amazing. Definitely one of my heroines. 🥰 Not too long ago I made homemade croissants for the first time. I remember watching Julia do it on The French Chef...beating the butter with her rolling pin and making the turns. I presented my croissants a few months ago at family dinner with a homemade soup. I was delighted when Super Murphy Boy pronounced, “These are the best things ever, Mom!” 

Thanks, Julia!! ☺️❤️




In honor of Julia Child I thought I would send some of my favorite Julia inspired recipes in the mail to my more culinary-minded penpals!  A recipe for happiness, wouldn’t you agree? 😋 💌 Now to get my hands on one of those great Julia Child postage stamps!!  🥰 😎


Bon Appetit, my postal pals! 

XOXO 

Mrs. Murphy

“Find something you’re passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it.” Julia Child.  

No comments:

Post a Comment