Friday, February 19, 2021

And I Quote...Snailmail Rocks!

 



Our letters, unless you write radically different from me, contain, by definition, pretty much all our own words. But I’ve discovered that most of my fellow snailmail enthusiasts are often logophiles (word lovers), philologos (lovers of words) or logomaniacs (obsessively interested in words)! 🙋🏼‍♀️ 😉 


“Well done is better than well said.” Benjamin Franklin

I decided that an interesting idea for a letter might be to write a letter using other people’s words as much as possible!🤔💡 These can be quotes that are famous and inspiring and something you read in a book...or it can be something your first grade teacher said to you that changed your life! Or devastated it. 😕


“That’s one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.” Neil Armstrong

A few things I’ve shared with and asked of some of my pen friends include:

What is your favorite line in your favorite book?


“The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it.” Flannery O’Connor


What are your ten favorite quotes about love?

“I carry your heart with me, I carry it in my heart.” E.E. Cummings



What are your five favorite poems? 


“Only by acceptance of the past will you alter its meaning.” T.S. Eliot



What is the most important thing anyone ever told you?


“Imagination is more important than knowledge.” Albert Einstein



What word always makes you think of someone who has passed away? 





Take these bits of other people's words and turn them into a interesting letter for a fellow logophile penpal! Words are powerful! Those that have shaped our lives are an interesting part of our individual life stories. Words can encourage and strengthen others, heal wounded hearts and bring delight! So share some today! 


Go postal, people! It’s a beautiful thing!

XOXO,
Mrs. Murphy 


No comments:

Post a Comment