Thursday, April 30, 2020

The Party’s in the Post!




Someone I know and love is celebrating a birthday!!  However, this global pandemic unsocial distancing has put a cramp in our birthday party style. I am usually all about creating care packages and parcels, but even gathering the goods and making one’s way to the post office can be difficult in times of quarantine! πŸ˜’ 
But fear not! Let’s think inside the box, the mailbox, that is! πŸ“¬  All one needs to create some entertaining birthday mail is one’s imagination, paper, pencils and postage stamps!! 

For my birthday mail I created a personalized crossword puzzle with clues designed specifically for the birthday boy. You could do this any number of ways: memories from the person’s life, special places or people of significance for the person, famous people that share the same birthday or name as the birthday honoree, or a combination of all of the above! 



The mysterious, birthday fun didn’t stop with a crossword. I highlighted certain letters in the crossword. My recipient had to unscramble the letters to form the KEYWORD for a columnar cipher...a type of transpositional code. I included a few hints on how to break the coded message I enclosed!


If you can’t go out for your birthday, why not bring dinner and a movie home instead? I sent along an idea for a themed dinner and a movie complete with recipe and film discussion questions for the birthday boy and his wife. πŸŽ₯ πŸ₯˜ 🍴 



No party would be complete without a few balloons.🎈Origami “balloons” are a bit magical and extremely conducive to traveling by post! You can find folding instructions on those wonderful interwebs!! πŸ˜‰



Finally, since we couldn’t celebrate in person I made a few “party animals” to go in our stead. πŸ₯° 

I put all of this fun paper mail in a manila envelope and weighed it on my kitchen scale to figure out the postage. The current postal rate for a large, flat envelope is $1.00 for the first ounce and $0.20 for each additional ounce. I attached the required postage (and a little extra because I LOVE stamps) and decorated the envelope with some drawings, ink stamps and washi tapes! Happy Birthday, indeed!! πŸ₯³



Hopefully a big birthday dinner culminating in cake is in the very near future!! In the meantime, the party is in the post!! 

XOXO,
Mrs. Murphy

(PS: A birthday check is always a welcome inclusion in any birthday mail!πŸ€‘)

No comments:

Post a Comment