Thursday, February 6, 2020

Love Is In The Air... And The Mail!


Every year the USPS releases a new “Love” stamp. Some folks like to use this sentimental postage on wedding invitations, love letters, birthday wishes and at this time of year...Valentine cards. 
❤️
USPS 2020 LOVE Forever Stamp

When I was growing up Valentine’s Day was pretty significant in my household. My sister and I would spend hours making handcrafted Valentine cards for our parents and friends. I always admired her artistry and creativity with simple construction paper and paper doilies! Our dad would always come home from work with a box of candy hearts or chocolates for each of us. And one year in college, Mr. Murphy sent me a progressively more romantic Valentine card in the mail everyday, culminating in a request to be his girlfriend!   (He must have known the way to my heart was via my mailbox!)
📬
Hearts, flowers, cards and chocolates are all associated with this holiday, but have you ever wondered how it all relates to a Christian martyr? Who was Valentine, anyway? Like most cultural celebrations it is an amalgamation of pagan and Christian elements. The true origin of Valentine’s Day is hard to discover. My research turned up a variety of stories that influence how we celebrate today, but one thing is certain, it commemorates a martyrdom. The Roman emperor Claudius II declared all Christians illegal citizens. A young priest, named Valentine, was beheaded on February 14, 269AD because he refused to renounce his faith in Christ. The most famous legend goes on to tell how just before his execution, he wrote a note to the jailor’s daughter, signing it, “From your Valentine.” 
💌

When I think of love letters I ultimately think of the Bible. God’s love letter to us.  I’ve been involved in a Bible reading challenge since last June. The pace of this challenge is slightly faster than I usually read the Bible. By the time June 2020 rolls around, I will have read the Old Testament once, the New Testament twice and some of the epistles 3 times. It has been great to read this special love letter and listen to the story God is telling and inviting me into. The Kingdom of God is different from anything else. God’s heart and love is different from anything else. As I fill up my love tank from the only One who can fill it, I will write love letters to the people in my life. 

Happy Valentine’s Day!!

XOXO
Mrs. Murphy

No comments:

Post a Comment