Friday, September 26, 2014

Round Robin Mail...It's Rockin'


"He rocks in the tree tops all day long. Hoppin' and a-boppin' and a-singin' his song!"

And writing snail mail, of course!!

 A "round robin" letter is traditionally a collection of letters written by and mailed amongst a group of people.  The first person writes a letter and mails it to the second person on the list. Number two receives the letter with great joy, reads the letter and then writes his/her own letter.  Number two then mails both letters on to Number Three and so on.  In order for this type of letter to be successful you really need to have a group of committed snail mailers.  Round Robin Mail is great to do with a pen pal group!!

I'm going to try this with my family, however.  So I'm going to do everything I can to encourage participation.  My lovely grandmother, the matriarch of our family, recently passed away.  She was a wonderful person and I have so many cherished memories of her. I know my sister, parents, cousins, aunts and uncles do, too! I would love to share these in a round robin mail adventure.  I've created sort of a fill-in-the-blank letter form with some prompts to get my recipients motivated to write! 


You could start a round robin postal adventure with any group of friends. How about passing along your favorite recipes?  Book reviews and recommendations? You could always ask a deep (or silly) question and ask your recipients to answer it. (Remember my Question Letter idea?) Most of my "non-postal" friends tell me that they don't write letters because they can never think of what to talk about. Making a prompt sheet for your recipients increases the likelihood of them completing their portion of the round robin snail mail!! Yay! It's also helpful to make a list of the people in the group with their addresses and include several copies with the letters. Another idea might be to write the list of participants and addresses directly on the back of the prompt sheets. (No more excuses, people!!)

I'm hopeful that this round robin postal celebration of my grandmother's life will bring great joy to everyone in the group. I'll keep you posted!! (HaHa...See what I did there?)

Go Postal, Everybody!!
XOXO Mrs. Murphy


2 comments:

  1. I think you have the "bull by the horn" here, Mrs. Murphy! Lovely idea, and really, your participants should have NO excuses with all that you have in place for them.. I especially like the "Memories of Grandma" and may try this myself! Great idea, keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pam! Let me know how your snail mail adventure goes!

      Delete