Sunday, May 18, 2014

Creative Snail Mail That Really Puts You On The Map!

I'm always on a quest to create and send quirky, clever snail mail. Today's outgoing post is one of my all-time favorite creations...mail based on a map! I dubbed this creation "The Map of Our Friendship." I drew a simple island shape and added small icons depicting special moments from our friendship. I numbered each symbol and created a corresponding legend.


My friend tells me that she loved this letter and even put it on her fridge! (A true place of honor!) You can make a "map" of anything! Here are a few suggestions...
  • A memory
  • A vacation 
  • School day/year
  • A day with your child or special someone
  • Your hometown
  • A day in the life of your dog
  • Your heart
  • Your garden
  • Your childhood
  • Your future
  • A negative shared experience (this can be a therapeutic way to handle a very bad day)
Some standard parts of a map I included in my creation were...
  • Cartouche - an ornamental frame on a map. It often contains the name of the map or the mapmaker. 
  • Legend - the map's key. It explains the symbols on a map.
  • Paths and Places - These can be cities, states, ideas, zones, sections, roads, highways and trails.
I hope you are motivated to make some map mail of your own! (I'm a fool for alliteration!) 


Go Postal, Everybody!! 
XOXO Mrs. Murphy

No comments:

Post a Comment