Thursday, April 3, 2014

Love Letter 101

As a snail mail enthusiast I LOVE sending and receiving mail to and from far away pen-pals! It's certainly romantic to think of a letter traveling half way around the world from one hand to another! While some of you may be in the tough situation of separation from your lover, I am not. Thankfully, Mr. Murphy and I reside happily under the same roof...but as the saying goes, "Absence makes the heart grow fonder"  and  "Familiarity breeds contempt." I often spend much more time and energy on a letter for some stranger than I do telling dear Mr. Murphy how I feel about him. Therefore, today's post is all about love letters!
(An actual love letter from Mr. Murphy...from a LOOONG time ago!)

My name is Mrs. Murphy and I am a recovering perfectionist. Anybody feel me? I used to struggle to come up with the PERFECT letter before posting anything...discarding draft after draft in the process! Usually this resulted in NO LETTER. Imagine that?! So my advice to you, my letter writing friends, is DON'T be a perfectionist. The not-quite-perfect letter is much better than no letter at all.  We all need a little motivation and guidance from time to time, so I've included a little Love Letter Outline to get those creative juices flowing!

1. Open with a special endearment. Traditionally love letters begin with "My Dearest" or "My Darling"  but a special nickname that you use for your sweetie is the best choice. The more personal and private the better!

2. Include a purpose statement at the beginning of your note. "I don't tell you as often as I should how much you mean to me." This not only sets the tone for your special correspondence, but puts any suspicious minds at ease. (If you've never written your honey a love letter, they might be thinking, "What did I do now?" or "What did she do now?")

3. Chose at least one special memory to write about. It can be big or small, but chose some memories that you feel define your relationship. What made you fall in love? What qualities and character traits do you most admire in your partner? Be very specific and illustrate each quality with an example from life. Everyone deserves to hear what another person loves about them!! This is very encouraging and affirming and will do wonders for your relationship!!

4. Describe the ways your life has changed for the better because of your true love. "Because of you my days are filled with laughter and my nights are filled with tenderness." Remember this is for your darling's eyes only so be as explicit as you dare. (One word of caution... Most people tend to keep all their love letters so if you don't want your future grandchildren to read racy stuff about you and your amore, you might want to keep it PG)

5.Close with a declaration of your commitment to the relationship. I like to think of it as "renewing my vows." Nothing says "I'm here for you"like a declaration of love and a promise to be faithful and true. Need some inspiration? Check out Shakespeare's love sonnets. Just remember to use this as inspiration only. A love letter in your own words is much more meaningful than copying someone else's words (even Mr. Shakespeare).

6. Consider including a token of your affection. A lock of hair is very old-school romantic. How about including a ticket from an event you went to together? Or a love quote or poem on an small card that your Sweetheart could carry with him? A spritz of perfume is always nice, too, but it can smear some inks so scent your paper before you start writing.

7. Always write your love letters by hand. Even if your penmanship leaves a little to be desired, a hand written sentiment is extra meaningful when it comes to love letters. This also is a wonderful way to document your handwriting for future generations. (Aww...Grandma totally loved Grandpa! And her handwriting was gorgeous!)

8. Send your love letter via post!  This blog is all about mailbox magic so, of course, I'm encouraging you to actually mail your love letter. Won't your Romeo's joy be multiplied when he finds some special snail mail just for him? It also gives you an opportunity to add some special LOVE postage! Fun!

I hope you feel armed and ready to write a beautiful love letter to your Special Someone! Please share with me any ideas and tips you have! Now get out there and GO POSTAL!

XOXO Mrs. Murphy


 (Love letters from Mr. Murphy... and my garter from our wedding! That elastic is totally shot.)

No comments:

Post a Comment